Garage sales are a great way to declutter, meet interesting people and make a few dollars in the process. Although a true garage sale junkie can find garage sales year-round, most are held in the spring and fall.
Now is the time to clear your clutter and get ready to have your own Garage Sale:
- The trouble with clutter is… you get used to having it around. When you discover “stuff” you don’t want or need – put it in your Garage Sale Box!
- Check your books – especially if you use money as a bookmark!
- When everything is clean and in working condition, it sells sell faster!
- Find all the pieces -- no jigsaw puzzles with one piece missing!
- Save paper for wrapping breakable items.
- Have plenty of change – quarters, loonies, toonies, and small bills.
- Create signs (great activity for the kids) and post them around the area.
- Plan a neighbourhood or street sale. The more the merrier!
GARAGE SALE DAY:
- Have your sale between 8:00 am and NOON – the most popular time!
- Price everything but leave room for negotiating. That’s the fun part!
- One person should take care of all the money so everyone knows when something has been paid for or not!
- Ask friends to help with customers, conversation, and control!
- You’ve cleared your clutter, now, relax, meet new people and HAVE FUN!
- Resist the temptation to take unsold items back into the house.
AFTER THE SALE:
- Deliver all remaining items to your favourite charitable organization (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Church, Minor Sport Group...) OR
- Put everything in a box at your curb with a huge “FOR FREE!” sign.
Here’s to a day… of letting go and making a bit of money in the process!