Downsizing can be a very emotional experience!
As Downsizing Divas, one of the services we provide is helping boomer and senior clients “right-size” their belongings to fit into their new home and lifestyle.
The idea of moving may be exciting, but the task of sorting, purging and packing can be overwhelming.
Accumulating stuff is easy; letting go of it is not. Our homes seem to be large enough to hold all our treasures and downsizing really only becomes an issue when the decision is made to...MOVE!
How can you get past overwhelmed? Here are FIVE questions to ask when you are considering what to pack and take with you:
1. Do I own more than one of these? If the answer is yes, select your favourite and donate the others.
2. When was the last time I used it? If you used the item more than a year ago (or if you can’t remember when you last used it) let it go. Sell it or give it away. Just don’t pack it.
3. Does it fit my new lifestyle? Moving boxes of your children’s artwork, or your Mother’s “good china” will take up valuable space at your new place. If you aren’t using it...don’t pack it!
4. Am I keeping it because I feel guilty letting it go? Guilt is a huge obstacle to downsizing. Share these “guilt items” with someone who will treasure them. There is no room in your life for stuff you don’t want, use or need!
5. Will I do something with it? Sports equipment, piles of fabric, boxes of tools and recipe books will just sit there if you have neither the time nor the inclination to use them. Share with family and friends!
Even if a move is not in your immediate future, the time to simplify your home and your life is NOW.
Downsizing Diva Co-Founder. Toronto East & North YorkContact Me