No matter how much space there is in our homes, we always seem to want more. Our stuff expands to fit the available space. These days, it's not so much about finding more space, it's about making the most of the space we have.
Whether you are downsizing to stay in your current home or planning to move, here are the Diva’s FOUR Keep It Simple Strategies:
1. Find a place for everything and keep everything in its place.
- This expression has been around for ages because it makes sense!
- Only bring items you want, use and need into your home and you take a major step towards successful space management.
- Clear out drawers, closets and cupboards regularly.
- Keep frequently used items readily available.
- Store cleaning products and medications out of reach of children.
2. Store “like” with “like”.
- This rule is most effective when used for items that are purchased regularly.
- Store paper products, laundry, and cleaning supplies together so it’s easier to keep track of what you have and know when it’s time to buy more.
- With big box stores and bulk buying, you can easily end up with far more of these products that you actually need.
- Keep tape, staplers, scissors, pens, envelopes, stamps and paper where they are easily accessible by all family members and put them back.
3. One in, one out.
- Follow this strategy to control the clutter in your home.
- Donate clothing that is surplus to your family’s needs to your local Family Shelter or Thrift Shop.
4. If you haven't used it in a year, donate it.
- When you pack summer clothes in storage to make room for fall items, think twice about storing clothes that weren’t worn at all.
- By editing things in your home seasonally, you’ll reduce the chance of being overwhelmed with clutter again.
Remember, the important things in life… aren’t things!