English textile designer and writer, William Morris had it right... “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”.
Start on the official FIRST day of Spring and use your time and energy for spring CLEARING. Think of it as an opportunity to let go of past habits and do something entirely different.
At Downsizing Diva, we know one thing for sure...we all have too much stuff. It may be cleverly tucked away in attics, basements and garages, but it’s there, for sure! This stuff takes on many forms:
- Things you thought you needed but only used a couple of times.
- Clothes that used to fit and you’re still hoping to get back into them.
- Inherited furniture and accessories that don’t fit your lifestyle.
- Multiple items you bought on sale because the price was irresistible!
- Sentimental keepsakes like your children’s baby clothes and/or artwork.
- Unpacked boxes from your last move.
- Sports equipment for sports you no longer play
Are you getting the idea? We bet you can even add a few of your own things to the list! We live in a society that values stuff. The more we have, the more we want. The more we buy, the faster they make a new, improved model that we just must have. It can quickly become a never-ending cycle.
Are you up to the challenge? If you are, here are FIVE Basic Steps to clearing your house, with the most important step being # 5:
- Identify a manageable space (closet, shelf, drawer, bin, dresser...)
- Remove everything from the space.
- Check all items and donate/dispose of items you are not using.
- Replace only the items you want, use and need.
Once you’re on a roll, get other family members to join in. Then, talk to your neighbours, tell them what you and your family are doing and, if they follow your example, you might consider hosting a Spring Street Sale to sell all your surplus stuff.